There’s so much choice out there when it comes to luggage. The first question you need to ask yourself is “should I pack a suitcase? or a backpack?” The short answer: it depends. So I’ve listed some pros and cons for you to consider.
The Case for The Suitcase
– You can pack much more into a suitcase
– Easy to access your stuff
– Transporting through airports, hotels, etc is easier
– Encourages you to pack too much
– Heavier to lift on stairs, and harder to move across uneven surfaces
– Can be difficult to load into small tour vans, taxis etc.
The Case for The Backpack
– Encourages you to pack less
– Easier to move on stairs and uneven walkways
– Easier to load into tour vans, taxis etc.
– You’ll need to edit your stuff a lot
– Can be hard on your back if you’re walking great distances
– Can be difficult to access your things quickly
I have an embarrassingly large collection of every type of luggage you can imagine. I’ve come to the conclusion that you really need to consider several things before deciding on a suitcase or a backpack. Ask yourself the following questions:
Will I be staying in hotels or camping?
Suitcases are a better luggage choice if you’re staying in hotels. Campers will appreciate a more compact backpack.
Will I be attending a formal event during my trip?
If you need to pack your fancy clothes, a hairdryer, and dress shoes, then a suitcase is the better luggage choice. If you plan to live in your tank tops and shorts, then go with a backpack.
What’s the weather going to be like?
If you need to pack for many scenarios like cold weather and rain, then you’ll need a suitcase to hold it all. If you’re going to the tropics and expect sunshine and warm temperatures during your stay, then a backpack should be enough.
Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? Why yes it is! There are some combo luggage choices out there. You can choose a backpack that converts to a rolling suitcase.
Just be warned – those wheels will make the backpack much heavier and more awkward.
It is worth trying one on for size though.
Affiliate Marketing Links:
I have a marketing connection to a brand or product herein. Through the use of affiliate links, I may collect fees from purchases made. There would be no additional cost to you. I’m very choosy who I associate with, and my links are only to products or services I have either used or have complete trust.